MAXIMILIANO V.VALLETTA

Bar Chef, Les Enfants Terribles

We took a moment to discuss with Maximiliano, Head Bartender at Les Enfants Terribles, about his journey, his vision of the Montreal cocktail scene and about his foolproof hangover cure. Originally from Rigaud and having recently become a resident of Outremont, it is at l’Assommoir, on Bernard Street, that Maximiliano got his start. “We had such amazing leeway in creativity. With more than 300 cocktails on the menu, l’Assommoir was a huge playground “. Today, after a few years behind the belt, he’s known for revisiting classic cocktails, Maximiliano style. His favorite: The Old-fashioned. “I can tell a lot about the quality of an establishment and its bartending based on the way they serve this cocktail “. Actually, it is just recently that he enjoyed his best Old-Fashioned, prepared by Head Bartender Andrew Whibley of the Cloakroom, located on de la Montagne Street, in the Golden mile.

Does a bartender culture exist in Montreal?

More and more in Montreal, we see people follow a specific bartender and go to a certain bar one night and another one the next night in order to enjoy his cocktails. But this is a new trend. The pool of bartenders is just beginning to grow. It’s 35-40 year-old guys who’ve trained a group of young bartenders who are now opening up their own establishments.

The cocktail culture is quite new here. People are just starting to try cocktails before dinner. When I first started at Les Enfants Terribles, 80% of people took wine and the other 20% beer. Now I’d say we’re seeing about 60% wine and 25-30% cocktails. “I won over my clients one by one by making them rediscover the classics”. If you ask him what his cocktails taste like, he will undoubtedly answer: “They taste like heaven!”

Maximiliano also lends importance to social media and believes they contribute in an important way to the current star system trend amongst Montreal bartenders. “It is after my first competition of Made with Love that I opened up my Instagram account. I find it important to make my presence felt on social media and to see who follows me. I now post regularly on both my personal account and that of Les Enfants Terribles”.

What do you serve up for…

A Hangover?

“I belong to the ‘fight fire with fire’ school of thought, so I start the day with an Old-fashioned and I finish it with an Old-fashioned “.

A heartbreak?

“You need bubbles for a heartbreak or a good old classic cocktail like the French 75. It’s festive and comforting and you can have more than one without getting a headache”.

Your mother-in-law?

“Bubbles also for mom-in-law. This summer, I served her a version derived from l’Apérol-Spritz…with a little Limoncello, for a lemony taste “.

Celebrating a business deal?

“Again, the Old-fashioned, for its nobility or a Negroni, which comes from royalty, or even Grappa, for its festive side. Grappa was once considered the drink of the poor and now it’s an exceptional product. When you have a good Grappa, it says it all”.

#brasserieet #maximiliano.valletta

When he goes out to have a drink in Montreal, Maximiliano either ends up at Huis Clos or at Midway, as much for the impeccable cocktail menu as for the friendly atmosphere.

Discover his signed cocktails

MAXIMILIANO V.VALLETTA

Bar Chef, Les Enfants Terribles

We took a moment to discuss with Maximiliano, Head Bartender at Les Enfants Terribles, about his journey, his vision of the Montreal cocktail scene and about his foolproof hangover cure.    Originally from Rigaud and having recently become a resident of Outremont, it is at l’Assommoir, on Bernard Street, that Maximiliano got his start. “We had such amazing leeway in creativity. With more than 300 cocktails on the menu, l’Assommoir was a huge playground “. Today, after a few years behind the belt, he’s known for revisiting classic cocktails, Maximiliano style. His favorite: The Old-fashioned. “I can tell a lot about the quality of an establishment and its bartending based on the way they serve this cocktail “. Actually, it is just recently that he enjoyed his best Old-Fashioned, prepared by Head Bartender Andrew Whibley of the Cloakroom, located on de la Montagne Street, in the Golden mile.   Does a bartender culture exist in Montreal?   More and more in Montreal, we see people follow a specific bartender and go to a certain bar one night and another one the next night in order to enjoy his cocktails. But this is a new trend. The pool of bartenders is just beginning to grow. It’s 35-40 year-old guys who’ve trained a group of young bartenders who are now opening up their own establishments. The cocktail culture is quite new here. People are just starting to try cocktails before dinner. When I first started at Les Enfants Terribles, 80% of people took wine and the other 20% beer. Now I’d say we’re seeing about 60% wine and 25-30% cocktails. “I won over my clients one by one by making them rediscover the classics”. If you ask him what his cocktails taste like, he will undoubtedly answer: “They taste like heaven!” Maximiliano also lends importance to social media and believes they contribute in an important way to the current star system trend amongst Montreal bartenders. “It is after my first competition of Made with Love that I opened up my Instagram account. I find it important to make my presence felt on social media and to see who follows me. I now post regularly on both my personal account and that of Les Enfants Terribles”. #brasserieet #maximiliano.valletta When he goes out to have a drink in Montreal, Maximiliano either ends up at Huis Clos or at Midway, as much for the impeccable cocktail menu as for the friendly atmosphere.

Que sers-tu pour?

A Hangover?

“I belong to the ‘fight fire with fire’ school of thought, so I start the day with an Old-fashioned and I finish it with an Old-fashioned “.

A heartbreak?

“You need bubbles for a heartbreak or a good old classic cocktail like the French 75. It’s festive and comforting and you can have more than one without getting a headache”.

Your mother-in-law?

“Bubbles also for mom-in-law. This summer, I served her a version derived from l’Apérol-Spritz…with a little Limoncello, for a lemony taste “.

Celebrating a business deal?

“Again, the Old-fashioned, for its nobility or a Negroni, which comes from royalty, or even Grappa, for its festive side. Grappa was once considered the drink of the poor and now it’s an exceptional product. When you have a good Grappa, it says it all”.

#brasserieet #Maximiliano.valletta

When he goes out to have a drink in Montreal, Maximiliano either ends up at Huis Clos or at Midway, as much for the impeccable cocktail menu as for the friendly atmosphere.

Discover his signed cocktails

vesper
lavander-sour

DISCOVER ALL OF OUR BAR CHEFS

Contactez-nous

slague@whitekeysvodka.com